life. society. culture. work. women. education. justice. satire. hairstyles

Thursday, March 29, 2007

the purpose of education.

A few months ago, before arriving in India, I found myself masquerading as an ‘educator’ at a school in Melbourne. At various times (during my many Socrates-inspired epiphanies) I would bring my classes to a halt and ask my students to come sit around the table (I had the tables in all my classes made to resemble boardrooms). Then, as chairman I would address my board of directors – sometimes there would be 26 of them!

I have always believed, contrary to popular belief, that young people today are highly insightful and perceptive. And, for this reason I would always be asking my students questions, on a range of topics to gain a greater insight into their lives and also to develop in my role as a teacher.

My personal favourite question has always been: "what is the purpose of schooling or education? Unfortunately to this question I usually received the same hackneyed responses: to learn, to be educated, to develop, to learn skills, to get my high-school qualification, I need it for a job and my favourite – because my parents make me! I found all these responses less than inspiring, however, I would have presented similar answers if I were in their position.

I used to list their responses on a whiteboard and discuss the merits and deficiencies of each. Then, I would proceed to give my own definition of education – I prefaced my response as someone who had the experience of being student and a teacher.

“The purpose of education,” I hesitated, “is to learn how solve problems?"


“Whaaat Sir, I don’t get?” was the usual reaction. Let me explain …

I believe everything contains a problem and potential learning solution. At school English, Maths and Science help us solve problems relating to communication, numbers and the living world. In fact all subjects help us solve some problem – yes even History, Art, Dance and Music!

Each problem, regardless of the subject requires a number of steps to be
methodically followed, and if done correctly can solution, or end product can be reached.

If we move away from ‘subject’ based problems – you will notice that literally everything we do involves us solve problems – some easier than others. For example, what shoes will I wear today involves a process of deduction, getting to the train station at 9.00 involves time scheduling, organising a party involving careful planning and execution, dealing with difficult people also involves a strategy. And when it come to trying to understand girls (a personal favourite of mine) I have always needed flowcharts, diagrams and focus groups to work them out!

The only problems that cannot be solved are the ones that are ignored, not analysed correctly or are poorly implemented. I strongly believe most problems can be solved given the right approach.

Since coming to
India, I have noticed the problems that exist here are challenging and require a great deal of thinking; they are complex and layered.

As a nation, India faces problems unimaginable in the western world – problems that you would not ordinarily read about. Much of my writing will focus on these problems, and I will offer to suggest a suitable responses to each. I am not here to save the world; rather I am here to understand the Indian puzzle better, and I am always looking for others willing to help.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home