life. society. culture. work. women. education. justice. satire. hairstyles

Saturday, March 24, 2007

subway eat less.

Customer service is something I have always taken for granted in the Australia, and having spent my early working days at a department store, I've learnt a thing or two about it. In Australia, when we don’t get the service expected we can be sure that a letter of complaint will address our grievances. Usually it is only old people (like my father!) that have the time to pen their objections to corporate complaint departments – but the point is someone will listen, and take action.

However, the concept of customer service is something that has yet to take off in India – and it is usually only those who have been abroad that can notice the disparity. If you have a complaint, then you can rest assured no-one will listen, and if someone does pay you the courtesy to listen they will almost never care enough to act.

I’ve been here long enough not to have too high expectations. A few years ago I used to get slightly annoyed with service levels; however today, I am starting to find my experience nothing short of comical!

This is what I observed when I walked into the Subway (an International fast food chain) recently.

1. The store was empty of customers – but 5 staff were 'on duty’
* Too many staff for a store of that size


2. I waited 2-minutes to be acknowledged by a staff member

* He was too busy doing paperwork, which could have waited

3. My order was taken, then I was told to wait for another staff

* He could have made my sandwich himself


4. The new guy then proceeded to serve me
* He took his time getting started (more into the TV that was on)

5. I was offered me salt and pepper I said "NO thanks" clearly

* 30 second later he forgot and put salt and pepper in!


6. I assumed he would give me a new roll

* He proceeded to scrape off the salt / pepper into a tissue!


7. I told him it would be a better option to make a new roll

* He proceeded to do so reluctantly


8. I decided to settle the payment for my order during this time

* The 'paperwork guy' complained that he had no change


9. I told him that this was not my problem

* He managed to find the change


10. He handed me a huge wad of notes and change

* I checked my bill and I was charged twice and much


11. I asked for my money back and left the store

* I didn’t feel like eating there after all the commotion

12. I went to Domino’s next door!

Labels: , , , ,