life. society. culture. work. women. education. justice. satire. hairstyles

Monday, April 23, 2007

POOR Excuses - What People Say BUT Really Mean


“Poor people are happy.”

If I am able to convince myself that poor people are happy, then I can also justify that they do not need my help. However, if I am to admit they are unhappy, then I may feel obligated to help them. This does not interest me at all.

“NGO’s and Charitable organisations are all corrupt.”

I am aware that NOT ALL NGO’s are corrupt. However, since I do not have the time to personally audit each one, I will refrain from financially and morally supporting their existence. Believing in this untruth make me feel less bad when such groups ask for my assistance.

“I don’t have time to help the poor. I am poor myself!”

I am so self-absorbed in my own existence that the thought of helping others in any capacity is beyond me. I have enough problems in my own life. I work so hard everyday. I have meetings and reports to finish. I am in line for a promotion to Assistant-Regional-Relationship-Manager in four years; I must work long hours. There will always be poor people, but promotions are rare.

“The problems in
India are very deep-rooted. You cannot change the system.”

Since I have no respect for my country and its citizens, I am hereby stepping aside from all my social obligations. I will henceforth be an armchair expert on the social problems in
India, and will never do anything positive to rectify them. I have a Masters Degree in Criticism.

"There is too much corruption in
India."

I understand that
India in full of corruption, however, I am not corrupt. I never take bribes – but I see nothing wrong in giving them. India will never change, nor will my attitude towards helping my corrupt, hopeless country.

“People in
India are VERY wealthy these days."

My family, friends and I are doing very well these days. We have all the comforts we could ask for. As for the other hundred’s of millions of people in
India, I cannot speak for them. I hope they have a chance to visit the new Mega-Hyper-Mall or a Call Centre. India is on the move!

“I would never give to an NGO, I prefer to give my money directly to poor”

I don’t know any poor people, and since NGO’s cannot be trusted, I am hereby absolved from giving. If I ever meet a poor person, then I will surely give to them – but I don’t associate with that class of people.

“I would give more, but I just don’t have the money”

I can afford to spend thousands of rupees on useless junk that adds no meaning or enjoyment to my (or anyone’s) life, but giving that amount to the poor is a waste. They would just spend it on cigarettes or alcohol. Poor people are very uneducated; they do not know how to manage money! The truth is if I can’t give a few dollars today, I will never give it when I have millions – I just don’t have the right attitude towards giving!

“I’m not ready to change the world yet”

Since I have convinced myself that no effort of mine will ever bring about any real change in the world, then it is best that I continue in my merry way. I hereby pardon myself from any thoughts or activities that may require me to listen to my social conscious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home