life. society. culture. work. women. education. justice. satire. hairstyles

Friday, May 18, 2007

duped in delhi.

I’ve spent a good part of the last six years here in India, and one thing I am still always reminded is: "be careful when you move about, people will always try and cheat you.” I usually shrug off such comments and go about my travels.

The other evening I was walking home from Khan Market (where I teach some English classes) at about 7.30pm. Now this is an upmarket part of Delhi so it is relatively safe, as the Police presence in these parts is quite strong.

I was dressed normally in jeans and a t-shirt, however, no matter how much I try to blend in with the crowd, even with my decent Hindi – I often come across as a tourist. I think it’s the back-pack and hair, which is somewhat different from the usual styles (for those of you don’t know who know me, I used to have dreams of running a chains of hair salons … so hair is very important to me!). Anyway, if it’s not the backpack or the hair, it’s the shoes that give me away – my Nike’s are a one of a kind – got them on eBay for $35!

Ok, back to the story … I was looking my touristy best when a motorcycle pulled up beside me with two guys on it. One of them got off and walked over to me. He was dressed in a cheap bright orange shirt with longish oily hair (could have used my salon services actually!). He looked like a goon, but I make it a point to give people the benefit of the doubt … but sometimes you need to go with your instincts.

He asked if I wanted to buy a mobile phone, and since I was really in the market for one I said, “yeah, maybe.” He pulled out a brand new Nokia N72 and handed it to me. I played around with it for a while then gave it back. He asked how much I would pay for it.

I told him I didn’t have my wallet and only had 1250 rupees (or $40) on me, which I pulled out of my back pocket and showed him. He said it wasn’t enough and wanted more, however he seemed quite desperate for cash. I told him I could offer him no more, and started walking away.

He went back to his motorcycle (which was still running), got the charger and came rushing up to me. He then handed me the phone and charger, said “take it” and grabbed the cash that was still in my hand. He then went off. It all happened so fast.

I was pleased with my great bargaining skills and new my phone!

I stated walking home, cashless but with a 15000 rupee phone. I tried turning it on … but it wouldn’t work. I looked the back of the phone and it had a BIG WHOLE in it filled with CLAY to increase its weight – he had switched the real phone with a dummy!

Actually, I was the dummy in this case! I started laughing and threw the phone into some bushes – it was also the first time I have ever littered! These guys did well ... I have to commend them for their solid efforts! It turned out to be a very expensive charger.

I couldn’t care less about the money, because at the end of the day it was my greed that got me into this situation in the first place. If something is too good to be true it usually is.

But some good has come out of it … it may have cost me $40, but I have a humourous story to share with others for many years to come … Priceless!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home